The school site was previously that of an Augustinian Priory that was suppressed at the dissolution, the Letters Patent signed by Henry VIII have survived. Edward Lewis became vicar of Chirbury in 1628 and two years before his death in 1677 he had the school built and endowed it with two farms so that twenty boys of primary age could be freely educated. In addition the schoolmaster was charged with the care of Edward Lewis’ chained library, some of the books are believed to have belonged to the poet George Herbert. The original trust deed along with an additional deed has survived (along with his will and inventory of his possessions) as have several other trust deeds when the trusteeship of the school was handed over to the next generation.
Some early maps of the school site survive, as do the account books for the trustees during the early part of the nineteenth century. The accounts for the building of the Victorian classroom in 1866 have survived as has the return for 1867 and the first surviving logbook starts in 1869. The admissions registers survive from 1895 when William Shaw became headmaster, the photograph taken on his appointment survives as do those of two of his predecessors, William Breidden and John Williams.
The first plan of the internal layout of the school dates from the return of 1867. The subsequent plans show how the building has been used during the last century.